Transforming your business from a national firm into an international firm is no small task, and the leap across borders and oceans should never be taken lightly.
Rushing into exporting without an ironclad strategy or the financial wherewithal to deal with the challenges of international markets is a recipe for disaster. Planning, research, making contacts, the whole process can be overwhelming.
That’s where we come in.
ExportEdge’s Step-by-Step Guide to Exporting is an essential tool for all Canadian companies interested in exploring business opportunities in international markets. We have gathered the resources and know-how of Canada’s top trade organizations and professionals, and we can help you cultivate the fruits of ambition.
We will introduce you to services that are available to help Canadian exporters, along with the basics of trade law, customs and regulations, and target market research.
You will also find valuable information about the world’s most lucrative international markets, as well as advice on how to build a robust network of trading partners, ship your products, manage risk and get paid.
Preparing your business for international expansion is not an easy or fast process, but we can help make it as painless as possible.
Ian McColl, president and CEO of Hibar Systems Ltd.—a manufacturer of liquid dispensing systems—and Peter Biro, president and CEO of military optics equipment manufacturer Newcon Optik, are veteran exporters, and they know what it takes to establish successful operations in international markets:
We aim to provide you with worthwhile advice from business champions like McColl and Biro, trade-focused organizations, and both the Canadian and foreign governments.
Our goal is to bring everything you need to succeed under one roof, and to foster confidence in and fuel the passion for your exporting goals.
So Why Export?
Companies start exporting for a myriad of reasons:
Regardless of what draws a firm into a new market, the ultimate goal is to monetize opportunities and facilitate business growth. For any Canadian business that has growth ambitions, there will come a time when exporting becomes necessary. This is because of the limited size of our domestic market.
Companies based in colossus economies like the U.S. can stay within their own borders and do quite well. Canadians aren’t so lucky. Canada accounts for only about 2 per cent of global economic activity. If you run a business in this country and want to grow, the Canadian economy simply isn’t big enough to facilitate it. The other 98 per cent of the world’s economy is out there, waiting:
Here’s Mitchell Osak, managing director of Strategic Advisory Services at Grant Thornton, explaining why growth-focused Canadian firms need to export:
Newcon Optik’s Biro holds a similar view:
Dave Kroetsch, cofounder, former CEO and currently chief technology officer at Waterloo, Ont.-based drone manufacturer Aeryon Labs Inc., is also bullish about the opportunities waiting for Canadian small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the global economy:
Kroetsch’s firm won Exporter of the Year at the Ontario Export Awards in 2014.
Winning an Export Award brings with it prestige, brand awareness and pride in your firm’s accomplishments. It also provides enterpreneurs the chance to measure their export footprint against that of their peers, an exercise critical to understanding your market and planning for future growth.
For those of you just starting out down this exciting path, the Export Awards provide a snapshot of the fruits that your labours can potentially bear: